Watch for Late Season Air Conditioning Problems
Our last series of posts have concentrated on plumbing issues and how our team of excellent plumbers can help you out. But we handle a wide variety of home services, and a service you may need us for during these last few official weeks of summer is help repairing your air conditioner. Your cooling system underwent a lot of stress this summer—one of the hottest on record for Durham!—and that can add up to an air conditioner that fails late in the season.
But if my AC has problems so close to fall, is it worth repairing?
Absolutely! Not only is it worth it, it’s essential. Letting an air conditioning repair in Durham, NC go without service creates plenty of future problems:
- It increases the chance the AC will abruptly fail during a fall heat wave—and you know those can happen!
- It forces the air conditioner to work harder than normal, which raises utility bills.
- It decreases the overall system life, and that means an early replacement.
- It makes it more likely the eventual repair will cost more—or that there will be more than one repair needed.
So it pays to keep a careful watch out for any signs your home’s cooling system is having problems, even if the air conditioner is still able to do its job. An odd noise, a compressor that starts and stops often, or a single room that seems warmer than normal: these all indicate a possible AC malfunction that you’ll want professionals to investigate.
Some common late summer AC troubles
General wear and tear is what causes the majority of air conditioning malfunctions and failures at this time of year. Here are some that you might run into:
- Dirty outdoor cabinet: When an air conditioner starts costing more to run at the end of the summer, it’s a good idea to check on the outdoor cabinet. Too much dirt and grime on it will restrict the AC from being able to properly exhaust heat.
- Dirt on the evaporator coil: Dust and dirt can slip into the AC around a clogged up filter (always change the filter for a fresh one every 1 to 3 months). As dirt and grime start to collect along the evaporator coil, they will restrict how well the coil absorbs heat. This will mean a rise in electrical costs and a drop in cooling power. It may also trigger the development of ice on the coil—a sign to call for repairs right away.
- Leaking refrigerant: Any loss of refrigerant will cause a series of troubles with an AC, usually starting with a decline in cooling performance. You may also see ice on the indoor coil and experience a short-cycling compressor. A hissing sound often warns of refrigerant leaks.
- Hard starting: This is when the compressor has trouble starting up, often making clicking and grinding sounds. The cause can be failing capacitors, stress on the compressor motor, or a build-up of dirt and dust on the compressor. This drains power and increases the chance of a full AC failure, so have it looked into right away.
Bud Matthews Services is here in the Durham are for all your home service needs.
“Many heartfelt thanks to the people I talked with on the phone late this afternoon who were concerned enough to send Pat over to check on our frozen pipes and dripping shower. Pat was so kind and professional and fixed...”
“Bud, I want to send my thanks to your company and especially to Scott. He got into more than he bargained for on our project yesterday. He went out and got different parts and went the extra mile to make...”
“They were professional, honest, and cleaned-up after their work, and even took the shop-vacuum around the living room for good measure (we have a GSD - say no more)! Nice folks.”
“Bud Mathew responded to our call even though it was made during the weekend. Plumber came to the house, identified the problem, gave us a temporary fix and suggested we wait until Monday to fix it. (That saved us some...”
“They replaced a number of parts in my old Maytag dryer. It has been very reliable for 26 years and I want to keep it rather than buy a new one. Works great now!”
“Repair people were punctual and cordial. They troubleshot a problem, trying different approaches when the first try didn't work to clear the line. They explained everything they were doing as they did it while we watched. They were very efficient...”
“We were very happy with the process and outcome. Noah was very responsive. If he couldn't answer his phone when I called, he quickly returned calls. Everyone was very polite and respectful. They did a great job. Noah made good...”
“They fixed my LG Front Load Washing Machine, which was leaking. They also helped me level it properly. They were on time, they provided clear estimates, they were professional, and they clearly explained every step of the process to me...”