Are Your Slow Drains Due to a Septic Line Issue?
Not all homes in the Durham area have access to a municipal sewer line. These homes have to instead rely on using a septic tank to handle the safe treatment and disposal of waste. If your home depends on a septic tank and septic line, you have to take several precautions to make sure that the septic system works at its best. This includes arranging for regular tank pumping, but also keeping a close look out for signs of trouble with the septic line. These include slow drains in your house.
How to tell if slow drains are septic trouble warnings
There are many different causes for drains that are moving slowly, or which become clogged. If you only run into a single drain that’s slowed down or clogged, the problem is likely a local one: hair or grease in the p-trap, an object that’s fallen down the drainpipes. Standard professional drain cleaning can usual solve these problems.
However, if more than one drain in your home is slow, the trouble might be down in the septic line itself. Here are a few clues that you may need septic line service from professional plumbers:
- Gurgling sounds from the drains: When water goes down the drains, a gurgling noise like air bubbling up through the water often means sewage is backed up in the drainpipe. The noise is sewer gas released into the water.
- Drain odors: The release of sewer gas from a backed-up septic line often means foul sewer odors drifting out of the drains.
- Odd drain behavior: If you flush the toilet in the bathroom, and water comes up through the drain in the bathtub or shower, that’s a major warning that sewage has started to back up from the septic system. This will usually start on the ground floor, or in the basement.
If you have any reason to suspect septic line trouble, contact our plumbers immediately. They’ll diagnose the issue and find the best way to solve it.
Contact Bud Matthews Services for all your home service needs in Durham, NC and the surrounding areas.
“Many heartfelt thanks to the people I talked with on the phone late this afternoon who were concerned enough to send Pat over to check on our frozen pipes and dripping shower. Pat was so kind and professional and fixed...”
“Bud, I want to send my thanks to your company and especially to Scott. He got into more than he bargained for on our project yesterday. He went out and got different parts and went the extra mile to make...”
“They were professional, honest, and cleaned-up after their work, and even took the shop-vacuum around the living room for good measure (we have a GSD - say no more)! Nice folks.”
“Bud Mathew responded to our call even though it was made during the weekend. Plumber came to the house, identified the problem, gave us a temporary fix and suggested we wait until Monday to fix it. (That saved us some...”
“They replaced a number of parts in my old Maytag dryer. It has been very reliable for 26 years and I want to keep it rather than buy a new one. Works great now!”
“Repair people were punctual and cordial. They troubleshot a problem, trying different approaches when the first try didn't work to clear the line. They explained everything they were doing as they did it while we watched. They were very efficient...”
“We were very happy with the process and outcome. Noah was very responsive. If he couldn't answer his phone when I called, he quickly returned calls. Everyone was very polite and respectful. They did a great job. Noah made good...”
“They fixed my LG Front Load Washing Machine, which was leaking. They also helped me level it properly. They were on time, they provided clear estimates, they were professional, and they clearly explained every step of the process to me...”
We recognize that our services are of a special and often emergency nature, and we remain fully committed to fulfilling the needs of our community even as potential demand for our services may increase with more families either choosing to or being required to remain home for extended periods of time. More importantly, the safety of our employees and customers is always our highest priority, and we recognize that heightened diligence and focus on health and safety is required during these challenging times. We are actively monitoring updates from the CDC, WHO and local health officials; and we have been proactively and continually implementing measures and developing plans to prioritize the health and well-being of our employees and customers. Including:
- Equipping all technicians with masks, gloves, and disinfectants.
- Social distancing – Avoid handshakes and limit direct contact with customers during their visit.
- Requiring technicians to clean all surfaces with disinfectants before and after performing work.
- Requiring all employees to stay home if they are experiencing symptoms such as shortness of breath, coughing or fever.