Ways to Lower Heating Bills in Winter
Nobody wants to spend more money than they need to on anything. The tricky part, however, is recognizing where you’re spending too much money in the first place. One area in your house where you’re probably paying more than you need to is winter heating. Because people are accustomed to thinking of their heating bills as always high, they often don’t consider the many ways they might lower them.
Below are some suggestions for how to keep your heating costs more reasonable during the winter. Some of these tasks require professional assistance, and you can always rely on us.
- Tune-up the heater in the fall: Make sure that your furnace, heat pump, or other heating system is in good shape for the season by calling professionals to tune it up. This will not only help the system work all the way through the winter with minimal trouble, it’ll also remove the strain that leads to a heater working harder and draining extra power.
- Change the air filter regularly: If you use a furnace or heat pump for winter comfort, then you need to see that the system’s filter is changed for a clean one every 1 to 3 months. If you let the filter become clogged, the reduction in airflow will force the heater to consume more energy and jack up your bills.
- Upgrade old thermostats: Do you have a thermostat that’s more than 10 years old controlling your heating and cooling? Then you’re probably missing out on numerous ways to lower comfort costs. Upgrade to a digital programmable thermostat or an advanced “smart” thermostat and you will enjoy noticeable savings—and not just during winter.
- Check the insulation and improve it if necessary: The insulation in the walls and attic of your home is essential for trapping heat during winter. Letting too much heat escape means that your heater must run almost continuously through the season and will waste power. Call our specialists to see if your insulation needs improvement.
For all your home service needs in Durham, NC, rely on the professionals at Bud Matthews Services.
“Many heartfelt thanks to the people I talked with on the phone late this afternoon who were concerned enough to send Pat over to check on our frozen pipes and dripping shower. Pat was so kind and professional and fixed...”
“Bud, I want to send my thanks to your company and especially to Scott. He got into more than he bargained for on our project yesterday. He went out and got different parts and went the extra mile to make...”
“They were professional, honest, and cleaned-up after their work, and even took the shop-vacuum around the living room for good measure (we have a GSD - say no more)! Nice folks.”
“Bud Mathew responded to our call even though it was made during the weekend. Plumber came to the house, identified the problem, gave us a temporary fix and suggested we wait until Monday to fix it. (That saved us some...”
“They replaced a number of parts in my old Maytag dryer. It has been very reliable for 26 years and I want to keep it rather than buy a new one. Works great now!”
“Repair people were punctual and cordial. They troubleshot a problem, trying different approaches when the first try didn't work to clear the line. They explained everything they were doing as they did it while we watched. They were very efficient...”
“We were very happy with the process and outcome. Noah was very responsive. If he couldn't answer his phone when I called, he quickly returned calls. Everyone was very polite and respectful. They did a great job. Noah made good...”
“They fixed my LG Front Load Washing Machine, which was leaking. They also helped me level it properly. They were on time, they provided clear estimates, they were professional, and they clearly explained every step of the process to me...”
We recognize that our services are of a special and often emergency nature, and we remain fully committed to fulfilling the needs of our community even as potential demand for our services may increase with more families either choosing to or being required to remain home for extended periods of time. More importantly, the safety of our employees and customers is always our highest priority, and we recognize that heightened diligence and focus on health and safety is required during these challenging times. We are actively monitoring updates from the CDC, WHO and local health officials; and we have been proactively and continually implementing measures and developing plans to prioritize the health and well-being of our employees and customers. Including:
- Equipping all technicians with masks, gloves, and disinfectants.
- Social distancing – Avoid handshakes and limit direct contact with customers during their visit.
- Requiring technicians to clean all surfaces with disinfectants before and after performing work.
- Requiring all employees to stay home if they are experiencing symptoms such as shortness of breath, coughing or fever.