Which Is Better, a Gas or Electric Furnace?
If you have plans to put in a new heating system for your home, you’re probably considering a furnace. This is the most popular type of heating system, after all, and HVAC technicians can usually locate a furnace type to match any home.
However, there are numerous kinds of furnaces available. The two most common models are natural gas furnaces and electric furnaces. Is there one kind that’s better than the other?
Gas vs. Electric
There isn’t a simple answer to that question, because it depends on your home’s heating needs as well as the available energy supply. If your home doesn’t have a connection to a natural gas line, then the obvious choice is to go with an electric furnace. (You might also consider a heat pump.) However, even if you have a gas line, you may still have reasons to choose an electric furnace. We’ll look at the pros and cons of each type.
- Gas furnace: Gas furnaces offer two big advantages. First, they cost less to run than electrical models because natural gas is a less expensive energy source than electricity. Second, they have extremely powerful heating capabilities, which makes them ideal for houses that have poor insulation and drafts. On the downside, gas furnace tend to cost more to install, and some families may feel nervous about using natural gas because it comes with some (minor) safety risks.
- Electric furnace: Going with an electric furnace is a good choice if you don’t want to deal with any potential safety hazards because of natural gas. But electric furnaces have a few other benefits to consider: they cost less to install, and they will often outlast natural gas furnaces. However, they do not the same level of heat output and cost more the run each year.
The best furnace for you is something that professional HVAC technicians will help you decide. Make sure you call on them before you choose a new heater for your home. They’ll guide you toward the best choice.
Bud Matthews Services is here for all your home service needs in Durham, NC.
“Many heartfelt thanks to the people I talked with on the phone late this afternoon who were concerned enough to send Pat over to check on our frozen pipes and dripping shower. Pat was so kind and professional and fixed...”
“Bud, I want to send my thanks to your company and especially to Scott. He got into more than he bargained for on our project yesterday. He went out and got different parts and went the extra mile to make...”
“They were professional, honest, and cleaned-up after their work, and even took the shop-vacuum around the living room for good measure (we have a GSD - say no more)! Nice folks.”
“Bud Mathew responded to our call even though it was made during the weekend. Plumber came to the house, identified the problem, gave us a temporary fix and suggested we wait until Monday to fix it. (That saved us some...”
“They replaced a number of parts in my old Maytag dryer. It has been very reliable for 26 years and I want to keep it rather than buy a new one. Works great now!”
“Repair people were punctual and cordial. They troubleshot a problem, trying different approaches when the first try didn't work to clear the line. They explained everything they were doing as they did it while we watched. They were very efficient...”
“We were very happy with the process and outcome. Noah was very responsive. If he couldn't answer his phone when I called, he quickly returned calls. Everyone was very polite and respectful. They did a great job. Noah made good...”
“They fixed my LG Front Load Washing Machine, which was leaking. They also helped me level it properly. They were on time, they provided clear estimates, they were professional, and they clearly explained every step of the process to me...”
We recognize that our services are of a special and often emergency nature, and we remain fully committed to fulfilling the needs of our community even as potential demand for our services may increase with more families either choosing to or being required to remain home for extended periods of time. More importantly, the safety of our employees and customers is always our highest priority, and we recognize that heightened diligence and focus on health and safety is required during these challenging times. We are actively monitoring updates from the CDC, WHO and local health officials; and we have been proactively and continually implementing measures and developing plans to prioritize the health and well-being of our employees and customers. Including:
- Equipping all technicians with masks, gloves, and disinfectants.
- Social distancing – Avoid handshakes and limit direct contact with customers during their visit.
- Requiring technicians to clean all surfaces with disinfectants before and after performing work.
- Requiring all employees to stay home if they are experiencing symptoms such as shortness of breath, coughing or fever.