Install a Humidifier to Prepare for Winter
Now that we’re fully into the fall and the Halloween decorations are up, we’re also into the season for readying homes for the winter. We’ve previously discussed how important it is to schedule heating maintenance (whether you have a furnace or a heat pump) as part of winter prep. But there are some new installations to consider as well. For example, many homes can benefit tremendously over the winter with a whole-house humidifier. We’ll explain the reasons for this, as well as whether you should have a humidifier installed for your house.
The Problems with Dry Air in Winter
The summer is the season when humidity often soars. The opposite is true in winter: moisture freezes out of the air, and furnaces can contribute to further lowering indoor relative humidity levels. This is a problem for a number of reasons:
- Low humidity makes cold temperatures feel colder. The lack of moisture in the air makes it easier for heat to escape from the human body, and this puts an extra cold edge to the already sharp blade of winter.
- The additional discomfort that low humidity causes means a home heating system will have to run much longer… and that in turn means much higher energy bills.
- A health side-effect of low humidity is dried sinuses and mucus membranes. This is annoying enough on its own—but it also takes away a body’s best defense against the spread of colds and flus around a home.
- Dry air isn’t good for wood and painted surfaces. Wood warps and cracks and paint peels.
If you have noticed the problems above occurring in your home during winter, give serious thought to a humidifier. A portable humidifier won’t do the job: let our professionals install a quality whole-house humidifier into your HVAC system. There’s no better way to balance the humidity levels without making a home too humid.
Bud Matthews Services serves Durham, NC and the surrounding areas. Arrange for humidifier and other indoor air quality services with us today.
“Many heartfelt thanks to the people I talked with on the phone late this afternoon who were concerned enough to send Pat over to check on our frozen pipes and dripping shower. Pat was so kind and professional and fixed...”
“Bud, I want to send my thanks to your company and especially to Scott. He got into more than he bargained for on our project yesterday. He went out and got different parts and went the extra mile to make...”
“They were professional, honest, and cleaned-up after their work, and even took the shop-vacuum around the living room for good measure (we have a GSD - say no more)! Nice folks.”
“Bud Mathew responded to our call even though it was made during the weekend. Plumber came to the house, identified the problem, gave us a temporary fix and suggested we wait until Monday to fix it. (That saved us some...”
“They replaced a number of parts in my old Maytag dryer. It has been very reliable for 26 years and I want to keep it rather than buy a new one. Works great now!”
“Repair people were punctual and cordial. They troubleshot a problem, trying different approaches when the first try didn't work to clear the line. They explained everything they were doing as they did it while we watched. They were very efficient...”
“We were very happy with the process and outcome. Noah was very responsive. If he couldn't answer his phone when I called, he quickly returned calls. Everyone was very polite and respectful. They did a great job. Noah made good...”
“They fixed my LG Front Load Washing Machine, which was leaking. They also helped me level it properly. They were on time, they provided clear estimates, they were professional, and they clearly explained every step of the process to me...”
We recognize that our services are of a special and often emergency nature, and we remain fully committed to fulfilling the needs of our community even as potential demand for our services may increase with more families either choosing to or being required to remain home for extended periods of time. More importantly, the safety of our employees and customers is always our highest priority, and we recognize that heightened diligence and focus on health and safety is required during these challenging times. We are actively monitoring updates from the CDC, WHO and local health officials; and we have been proactively and continually implementing measures and developing plans to prioritize the health and well-being of our employees and customers. Including:
- Equipping all technicians with masks, gloves, and disinfectants.
- Social distancing – Avoid handshakes and limit direct contact with customers during their visit.
- Requiring technicians to clean all surfaces with disinfectants before and after performing work.
- Requiring all employees to stay home if they are experiencing symptoms such as shortness of breath, coughing or fever.