Putting in a Humidifier for the Coming Cooler Weather
People right now are starting to make plans for the cooler weather, which means scheduling heating maintenance is a priority. But there are other things you can do for your home to prepare your HVAC system for the coming change in the weather. One of these things is to call indoor air quality professionals and arranging for the installation of a whole-house humidifier.
Why Have a Whole-House Humidifier?
Low humidity is often an issue in homes during the winter. As the temperature drops, so does the moisture level in the air. When relative humidity dips below 30%, it will start to have negative effects in a home:
- Discomfort: Low humidity adds an unpleasant edge to cooler temperatures. This is because the low levels of moisture allow heat to easily escape from the body, and this makes the temperature feel colder than it is. Balancing humidity levels help people feel warmer in winter.
- Energy waste: When low humidity makes a home feel colder, its furnace or other heating system will need to run more often—and that means wasting more power and elevating energy bills.
- Spread of illnesses: Dry air causes sinus membranes to dry up, which are a major defense against the spread of flus and colds from person to person. The drier the air, the faster sickness will spread around a household.
- Other health issues: When the indoor air is too dry, it means itchy and irritated eyes, noses, and throats.
- Damage: Low moisture levels can cause wood to crack and paint to peel. It’s especially destructive to precision musical instruments.
A small humidifier can take care of these problems in a single room, but if you want to have all these issues dealt with, you’ll need a professional to install a whole-house humidifier into your HVAC system. The right system will balance humidity without the danger of making your house too humid.
Bud Matthews Services offers indoor air quality improvements in Durham, NC.
“Many heartfelt thanks to the people I talked with on the phone late this afternoon who were concerned enough to send Pat over to check on our frozen pipes and dripping shower. Pat was so kind and professional and fixed...”
“Bud, I want to send my thanks to your company and especially to Scott. He got into more than he bargained for on our project yesterday. He went out and got different parts and went the extra mile to make...”
“They were professional, honest, and cleaned-up after their work, and even took the shop-vacuum around the living room for good measure (we have a GSD - say no more)! Nice folks.”
“Bud Mathew responded to our call even though it was made during the weekend. Plumber came to the house, identified the problem, gave us a temporary fix and suggested we wait until Monday to fix it. (That saved us some...”
“They replaced a number of parts in my old Maytag dryer. It has been very reliable for 26 years and I want to keep it rather than buy a new one. Works great now!”
“Repair people were punctual and cordial. They troubleshot a problem, trying different approaches when the first try didn't work to clear the line. They explained everything they were doing as they did it while we watched. They were very efficient...”
“We were very happy with the process and outcome. Noah was very responsive. If he couldn't answer his phone when I called, he quickly returned calls. Everyone was very polite and respectful. They did a great job. Noah made good...”
“They fixed my LG Front Load Washing Machine, which was leaking. They also helped me level it properly. They were on time, they provided clear estimates, they were professional, and they clearly explained every step of the process to me...”