Common Toilet Repair Problems
There are a number of important plumbing fixtures in your home that demand fast attention when something goes wrong with them. The bathroom toilet is probably the most prominent—when a toilet won’t work, or is leaking or overflowing, it’s something you’ll want to have repaired immediately. Unless the issue is a simple one (and we’ll look at some examples), you’ll need to call a plumber in Chapel Hill, NC to repair it. A professional plumber, not just a “handyman” who has a few different sizes of plungers and a hand-cranked drain snake. You can’t afford to take chances with this vital part of your home’s plumbing, so only work with a licensed plumber.
The Most Common Toilet Repair Problems
Although occasionally weird issues arise with toilet plumbing (such as cement getting into the drain because of poor construction elsewhere in the house), the majority of toilet repair issues are one of the following:
- Non-flushing toilet: You pull down the lever or push on the top button, but the toilet doesn’t flush. In most situations, the problem is a caught chain from the handle to the flapper, or a broken arm from the handle. Open up the tank to see what might be broken or loose. Call a plumber if you can’t figure out the problem.
- Water leaking around the base: If water seems to be spreading from the base of the toilet, don’t hesitate calling a plumber! The water from the seepage can cause serious structural damage to the subfloor. There are a number of possible sources for these leaks, such as a decayed wax ring in the toilet base or loose gaskets allowing water to escape from the tank and onto the floor. A professional plumber can identify the issue and have it corrected.
- Toilet won’t stop running: This is a problem people often ignore because they either don’t notice it or don’t think it’s a big deal. But if water from the tank is continually running down into the bowl, it’s a massive waste of water. This might be due to leaks, a decayed flapper, or a broken valve. Shut off the feedline to the toilet so it stops wasting water and contact a plumber to find out what’s wrong.
- Overflowing toilet: This is the sort of toilet problem that can cause a panic when it happens. If your toilet overflows, shut off the valve on the feedline so you can stop the water. Call for a plumber and while you’re waiting, use towels to soak up the water and prevent water damage to the floor. You can also try using a toilet plunger if you think you have a clog, but don’t use any type of chemical cleaner if this solution doesn’t work.
- Slow filling toilet: If the bowl isn’t filling up as fast as it should, first check the feedline valve to make sure it’s all the way open. The problem could also be clogs in the feed line or dirt in the valve.
Fix any bathroom plumbing problems you have! Bud Matthews Services is here for all your home service needs in Durham and the surrounding area.
“Many heartfelt thanks to the people I talked with on the phone late this afternoon who were concerned enough to send Pat over to check on our frozen pipes and dripping shower. Pat was so kind and professional and fixed...”
“Bud, I want to send my thanks to your company and especially to Scott. He got into more than he bargained for on our project yesterday. He went out and got different parts and went the extra mile to make...”
“They were professional, honest, and cleaned-up after their work, and even took the shop-vacuum around the living room for good measure (we have a GSD - say no more)! Nice folks.”
“Bud Mathew responded to our call even though it was made during the weekend. Plumber came to the house, identified the problem, gave us a temporary fix and suggested we wait until Monday to fix it. (That saved us some...”
“They replaced a number of parts in my old Maytag dryer. It has been very reliable for 26 years and I want to keep it rather than buy a new one. Works great now!”
“Repair people were punctual and cordial. They troubleshot a problem, trying different approaches when the first try didn't work to clear the line. They explained everything they were doing as they did it while we watched. They were very efficient...”
“We were very happy with the process and outcome. Noah was very responsive. If he couldn't answer his phone when I called, he quickly returned calls. Everyone was very polite and respectful. They did a great job. Noah made good...”
“They fixed my LG Front Load Washing Machine, which was leaking. They also helped me level it properly. They were on time, they provided clear estimates, they were professional, and they clearly explained every step of the process to me...”