Repiping Services in Chapel Hill, NC by Bud Matthews Services
Since the 1960’s, the most popular pipe material for new homes in the U.S. has been copper. This is because copper is quite a bit sturdier than most other materials when it comes to water exposure. It is rust resistant and can last up to a century under ideal circumstances. Unfortunately, there are a couple problems that can shorten that lifespan considerably. Even if the pipes live the full hundred years, they will have to be replaced sooner or later. If you have pipes fail in your home for whatever reason, don’t worry.
We offer a full range of re-piping services throughout Chapel Hill, NC. Give us a call today to set up an appointment.
PROBLEMS THAT CAN LEAD TO PIPE REPLACEMENT
There are a couple of different issues that can lead to pipe replacement. Let’s take a look at several of them:
- Formicary Corrosion: Formicary corrosion is caused by formaldehyde particles eating microscopic tunnels through the copper pipes. While it cannot be seen with the naked eye, formicary corrosion can severely weaken the pipes and make it easier for them to develop leaks.
- Pitted Corrosion: Pitted corrosion is the result of chlorine molecules interacting with the copper pipes. It tends to be focused on a small area of the pipe, which allows it to eat holes in the pipe. The leaks created by pitted corrosion, called “pinhole leaks,” can be repaired if caught early enough. If the corrosion is too widespread, though, it is easier to replace the affected section.
- Lime Scale Buildup: Limescale buildup is caused by long term hard water exposure. Hard water causes mineral deposits to form, eventually building into large limescale formations that restrict the flow of water through the pipe. If the buildup is not addressed early, they can harden and become irremovable. At that point, the pipe will need to be replaced to restore full function.
SIGNS THAT YOU MIGHT NEED YOUR PIPES REPLACED
There are a couple of signs that you need to have your pipes replaced. Here are a few of them:
- Drop in Water Pressure: A steady or sudden drop in water pressure is a sure indication of a problem with your water line. It could be that you have a leak or blockage in the line. Either way drops in water pressure are not a good sign for your pipes.
- Rising Water Bill: If your water bill is rising despite regular use, you more than likely have a leak somewhere in your system. Whether or not it’s a leak that requires replacement will require further investigation. Still, water bills that spike tend to indicate that you need at least one pipe replaced.
If you have any questions or need to have some pipes in your home replaced, call Bud Matthews Services today to schedule an appointment.
“Many heartfelt thanks to the people I talked with on the phone late this afternoon who were concerned enough to send Pat over to check on our frozen pipes and dripping shower. Pat was so kind and professional and fixed...”
“Bud, I want to send my thanks to your company and especially to Scott. He got into more than he bargained for on our project yesterday. He went out and got different parts and went the extra mile to make...”
“They were professional, honest, and cleaned-up after their work, and even took the shop-vacuum around the living room for good measure (we have a GSD - say no more)! Nice folks.”
“Bud Mathew responded to our call even though it was made during the weekend. Plumber came to the house, identified the problem, gave us a temporary fix and suggested we wait until Monday to fix it. (That saved us some...”
“They replaced a number of parts in my old Maytag dryer. It has been very reliable for 26 years and I want to keep it rather than buy a new one. Works great now!”
“Repair people were punctual and cordial. They troubleshot a problem, trying different approaches when the first try didn't work to clear the line. They explained everything they were doing as they did it while we watched. They were very efficient...”
“We were very happy with the process and outcome. Noah was very responsive. If he couldn't answer his phone when I called, he quickly returned calls. Everyone was very polite and respectful. They did a great job. Noah made good...”
“They fixed my LG Front Load Washing Machine, which was leaking. They also helped me level it properly. They were on time, they provided clear estimates, they were professional, and they clearly explained every step of the process to me...”